OMAHA

OMAHA

Monday, February 24, 2014

2nd Coming Out?

   Many Bears say they have to come out twice in their lifetime. They say they come out once for being gay and once for saying they are a bear. At first glance, this logic seem very clear. Some people might find it easier to come out as liking men, but more difficult coming out as liking big hairy men.  Part of this might comes from the images that people put out as what a gay man is and how they should act. As said in an earlier post, a Bear will most likely not fit the mold and will accept others that don't.
    I once was a champion of the coming out twice theory, but lately I have come to understand that it is more than that. I don't think Bears come out twice, I just think that Bears might take a longer process of coming out. The time from "I'm gay" to "I'm a Bear" might take years. Even I am coming to terms with fully embracing my full Bear. Many guys that are Bears might not think they are gay because they don't fit the stereotype. This only lends itself to the long process of acceptance of who you are and were you fit. If that is the case, than in a way Bears are a fringe group. Many Bears have even been married and have children. That just means their journey just took a little bit longer to come to a destination.
    To those questioning themselves because they don't see themselves represented, the bravest thing you can do is tell yourself you are normal. Than the next step is to represent yourself and let yourself shine. You will and should always have a home with the Bears.

No comments:

Post a Comment